Tel Arad is located on the periphery of Arad and consists of two separate sites – the lower city and the upper city.
The lower city was populated during the early Canaanite period when it was one of the largest sites in Israel with an encompassing wall of 1200 meters. It was designed to perfection with piazzas, public buildings and villas, temples and open spaces, and a good drainage system whereby the rainwater was diverted via the roads into a reservoir located in the lower section.
The upper city is known as “The Hill of Fortresses” and settlement commenced there in 1200 BCE. Many fortresses were constructed here over time, each time on the ruins of those which came before. Archaeologists have excavated an Israelite temple in the fortress courtyard which includes a sanctuary and a smaller room which was the Holy of Holies. This is a small scale version of King Solomon’s Temple located in Jerusalem.
Booking Israel is great source for tourist's information about hotels in Israel, guided tours to Israel, car rental in Israel as well as attractions and events throughout Israel.